What do I do about loosing business due to the landlord obstructing the entrance?

3 months ago I opened a business, leasing a space for barbershop. After moving in the landlord has been harassing me and he refuses to compromise on obstructing the space and view of my business. He sells cars but parks them all in the front lot in front of my business. I spoke to him about it but he refuses to compromise. No customer parking and I have lost barbers from no parking. He didn’t disclose the fact he would be parking his business in front of mine beforehand. The contract is contradicting on parking.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Given the problems that you have with your landord, you need to carefully read the writtne lease that you have with him in that its terms control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. If the agreement is conflicting, then if the landlord drafted it, any ambiguities would be construed against him.

From what you have written concerning the problems that you are having with your landlord, you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney experienced in commercial leases. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.