How best to handle an injury suffered a car accident?

I was in an accident and it was the other driver’s fault. I went to the hospital that day due to lower back pain and the hospital took X-rays and everything looked OK. It has been over 2 weeks and I am still having pain. I went back to the hospital because I could not go to a doctor due to the fact I have no medical insurance or money to cover the doctors costs. The hospital did not do anything for my pain and referred me to an orthopedic. I called the orthopedic and they told me they did not handle back pain. Also I am going to lose money as a result of my car being totaled. What should I do?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an attorney--and note that many personal injury attorneys will provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case. If you are injured and/or suffer property damage due to the fault of another, that person may be liable  for your losses, injuries, and costs. Potentially, you could recover your medical expenses; any lost wages; the value of your car;  the cost of mass transit or taxis you've taken due to the loss of your car; and possibly additional compensation for  pain and suffering.

Many personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means that the attorney gets a portion of whatever he or she recovers for you; the lawyer is not paid unless and until you are paid, which could help if you don't have the upfront money for an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.