What do I do?

My mother passed sometime back and I am
switch the deed from her name to mine.

Asked on March 24, 2017 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  There are some details here that need to be included such as was there a Will?  Was the estate probated?  Are there other wiblings here or a spouse?  Generally speaking the property of a deceased person must pass through Probate in order for the Personal Representative to eecute an Executor's Deed.  I would go and speak with a Probate attorney on how to proceed here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.