What constitutes harrassment?

I have a neighbor lady who is giving me lots of issues. I had a valid complaint against her about her dogs which was handled through animal control. She was fined after not complying with a state law to keep her dogs on a leash. She is continually calls the the police for made up reasons. She calls my landlord weekly complaining about me, telling he landlord lies. The landlord is friends with her so the land lord is believing her. She spreads rumors to other neighbors in the neighborhood. She is making my life miserable. Is there anything I can do about this?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Personal Injury, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are different types of harrassment. Under Michigan law “harassment” means conduct directed toward a victim that includes, but is not limited to, repeated or continuing unconsented contact that would cause a reasonable individual to suffer emotional distress and that actually causes the victim to suffer emotional distress. Harassment does not include constitutionally protected activity or conduct that serves a legitimate purpose.  If she is calling the police and filing false reports she could get in to a LOT of trouble.  Please speak with some one who can help you file a report for her behaviour.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.