What constitutes as proof that a company has overpaid wages?

This company has provided what they call proof of over-payment of wages but the documents seem fabricated. The earnings statements seemed fake and the taxes on the gross amount looked inflated. Inflating the taxes would give them a higher amount that they think is owed. I did a tax calculator and the taxes were way off.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Proof would things like an earnings statement, but also and probably more importantly either cancelled checks or evidence of direct deposit--i.e. evidence that the money was actually paid to the employee. Assuming the company can prove the money actually received by the employee, then proving overpayment (or that there was no overpayment) should be straightfoward: after adjusting for FICA, withholding, any benefits paid from wages (e.g. health, 401k, etc.), simply compare the amount received to what the employee's wages or salaries should have been. The help of an accountant or bookkeeper may be necessary, if the numbers are complex or no one is comfortable with them, but there is no reason why the company or the employee should not be able to show exactly what he or she did receive, and therefore how much he or she was paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.