What classifies hostile work enviornment?

Can I file workers comp for it as well?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A "hostile work environment" only applies to hostility based on illegal discrimination--that is, hostility aimed at a person due to his or her race, sex, religion, age over 40 or disability. If it's not motivated by discrimination, an employer may be as hostile as it likes. If you feel that the hostility is aimed at because of discrimination against a group which you belong to, you may have a discrimination claim and should speak with an employment law attorney.

There is no worker's compensation available for a hostile work environment: if it's discrimination-based hostility, you may have a discrimination claim, but that's the only recourse you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.