What can you do if your spouse refuses to help pay the joint bills?

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Family Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

All you can do, unfortunately, is divorce. While your spouse will be responsible for joint bills and so could be sued by creditors for the money, you have no way, while married to force a spouse to pay bills or otherwise use his/her personal money or assets for your or the family's benefits except by divorcing and getting a court order or decree in the divorce case requiring certain bills to be paid by your spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.