What can you do if you move into an apartment that has bed bugs and the landlord is unwilling to help out?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have moved into an apartment unit infested with vermin, you need to immediately set forth a written paper trail as to the problem with your landlord requesting immediate resolution keeping a copy of all letters for future records.

If the landlord does not make the requested eradication of the vermin problem within the demanded period of time, I would contact the local health department and ask for an inspection. Possibly the landlord will be cited and be forced to make the corrections as requested.

You should also consider consulting with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation as well. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.