What can we do we can’t access our belongings, 8 days after part of our apartment building burned?

Part of my apt building burnt up pretty good and the city has deemed it unsafe to go into. This happened abot a week ago. They let us go in after the fire was out to grab a few things. Here we are 8 days later and we have still not been able to get back into our apartment to get our stuff, the only time we get updates about our building is when we go in to talk with them. They were supposed to replace the roof today, so that the city can re-inspect it to determine if it is safe to enter but we drove by today and again nothing has been done. They have a fence around the building to prevent introducers but at what point does this fall on them. 80 people have been displaced and unable to access our belongings? We are pretty frustrated and have tried to be patient but the residential company has not updated us or anything what can we do?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you make contact with your local Red Cross office to see what it can do to help out in your situation. I would also speak with the landlord as well as the property manager as to issues of access to get your belongings in addition to the local fire department.

Bottom line is that there is a health issue preventing you access to the rental you have and until such is resolved, you cannot be on site.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.