What can my neighbor do with the recordings of my parties/get-togetherd every weekend?

Just recently, my neighbors been recording the parties that I have every week and I just began to take notice. I was wondering, what can they do with that recording? Also, a few of my friends are marijuana users, so can they charge me with anything?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Civil wise, they can sue you for nuisnace claiming that your parties prevent them from enjoying the use of their property. 

Criminal wise, they can forward the information on to the police who could use it in any prosecution attempt by the District Attorney's office.  Normally the police are limited by the 4th amendment in their search and seizure attempts.  However, when a regular citizen does the video (search) then there are no 4th amendment limits.  

That said, your neighbor is most likely violating your right to privacy by video taping your private property.  I would have a discussion with the neighbor and ask them what you can do to make everyone happy--like ending parties at a certain hour etc.

Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.