What can I expect if my divorce paperwork was not filed correctly 16 years ago when my ex-wife filed an uncontested divorce while I was stationed in Korea but it cannot be found?

She has since remarried as have I.

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there is no court order stating that you and your "ex" are actually divorced then under the laws of all states in this country you are not divorced. As such, if both of you have remarried, then there is a chance that you have violated state bigamy laws. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney as to what your legal options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.