What can I do when someone is not paying me for a job I completed?

I was a freelance associate producer at an editorial company. I found a new job since then and haven’t worked there in 3 months. She still owes me for 2 invoices. I’ve sent 3 emails to her requesting payment (prefer to keep everything in writing). She promised to pay me 1 about 4 days ago. She hasn’t and she’s not responding to me. She needs to pay both my invoices. What can I do?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her. You way you were a "freelancer," which means an independent contractor. An independent contractor is entitled to be paid for the work he/she did as per the agreement (written or oral) between him or her and the client/employer. If not paid, you can sue for breach of contract to recover the money. Depending on how much is at stake, a good option may be to sue in small claims court, where you can act as your own attorney (saving on legal fees).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.