What can I do when I receive a judgement on a private student loan?

I was served with court papers 4 months ago regarding my loan. I tried several times to set up a payment plan with attorney (she said she would ask client and call back). I also left many messages after. I never heard back. Last week, I was served with judgement papers for the loan. I never received a call back or letter from the attorney saying a judgement was being passed. I am still trying to contact the attorney. She claimed to never receive my previous messages and has not, yet again, returned my call regarding the payment plan. I keep leaving messages but get no response.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the attorney representing the judgment creditor against you concerning the student loan that you have written about does not respond to your messages which I presume are through the telephone, I suggest that you write the attorney a letter seeking a written payment plan.

Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference. If you receive no response to the letter, you might consider consulting with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you in the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.