What canI doif a store does not accept a return?

My son (19) purchased a $600 TV and when we brought it home and unpacked it the screen was broken. We took it back and they said by signing the release you signed a waiver that once you take the TV it is no longer the responsibility of the store. The store never told him about the waiver they just said, “Sign here”. He is 19 and was excitied about owning a TV and didn’t read all the paperwork.

Asked on November 26, 2011 under General Practice, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your son carefully read all written documents concerning the television that he purchased recently in that the terms control the obligations owed to him by the store and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If the release contained a waiver as to the condition of the television signed by him, unfortunately he is stuck with what he signed. If the store will not allow him a refund for the television, perhaps he bought an extended warranty that may protect him concerning it? If not, possibly he might wish to speak with the store's manager as to whether he or she might be able to help him.

If not, your son unfortunately has learned an important lesson about inspecting what he has purchased before leaving the store with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.