What can I do when a family member steals my identity?

My brother has been pulled over numerous times and received several tickets. He has warrants out, so he keeps telling officers he doesn’t have his driver’s license and gives them my name and birthdate. I keep receiving letters saying my speeding/traffic tickets weren’t paid so my liscence is suspended. I’ve had to pay hundreds of dollars on these tickets and I want him caught. The last time this happened I sent evidence to the district attorney and he dismissed the tickets. I have phone recordings of my brother admitting he has used my identity several times. What are my options?

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your brother is using your identity via theft and as a result is getting you into trouble as a result you need to contact law enforcement and make a criminal complaint against him before matters get worse for you.

As to a possible civil action against your brother with a request for an injunction against him from using your name you should consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.