What can I do to leave school without legal problems?

I’m 17 years old and my girlfriend got pregnant, so I dropped out school to work. Now my school official says that she will send me to court.

Asked on May 19, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can officially withdraw from the school, but some officials will still try to go after you for truancy.  So... just know that even if you officially withdraw... you may still have legal problems because many school administrators are fanatics about attendance.
If you want to avoid that drama altogether... look at other options.  Pregnancy is no longer a bar to attending high school.  More and more schools are offering alternative programs.  Another option is to enroll in an online program.  Go to the Texas Board of Edcuation website to look for approved programs.  The advantage to these programs is that you can get your diploma, still be considered "enrolled", and work towards your degree at a self pace which is better for you right now.
I do not mean to sound preachy... but dropping out of school under this situation (especially when you don't have to), is the worst thing you can do for yourself and your baby.   Your baby deserves a chance at a life.  You will need to provide for your baby.  Unfortunately, workers with less than a high school diploma tend to make the least amount of money.  To give both of you a future, you need that diploma.
Your next challenge will be "what to do" after high school.  For job and job training options, google the Texas Workforce Commission.  The offer a variety of services for employees entering and re-entering the workforce.  If you have any type of disability, including a learning disability, then also reach out to DARS.  This is a state and local program that helps with job training (college and vocational) for people with disabilities.  If you are on your own and want to go to college, check out books from your local library on financial aid and how to complete a FAFSA application.  If you are low income, you may qualify for a Pell Grant to pay for your tuition to go to college.  A Pell Grant is free money that you do not have to repay.  Your high school counselor can also help with all of these... and may know of other resources that are available to you.... tap into them all.  Having a baby doesn't mean the end of your life... it's just the beginning of a new adventure... but it doesn't hurt to have a map to get you through the journey.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.