What can i do to help myself

I own a home and my childrens mother is the co-owner ( she is not my wife). She moved another man in 6 years ago. I moved out so my kids would have a home. She is now trying to sue me for back mortgage after 6 years. I would prefer to sell the house but she doesn’t.I would even prefer to sign off the house. The gentelman is still in the house with her paying the mortgage. Am I wrong for thinking that they should be responsible for the mortgage? Please tell me what can I do to help myself?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that if you're being sued by this woman, you definitely need to see a lawyer.

First, from what you've told me, I don't see anything that justifies asking you for part of the mortgage payments now, if there was never any agreement that you would do that.

Second, if this is how you're going to be treated -- and if she can't pay the mortgage on her own -- maybe it's time to see if you can force the sale of the house, unless she's ready to buy you out, so you don't have to worry about your credit if she doesn't pay the mortgage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.