What can I do to help my significant other from being found not guilty?

The mother of my child and I was drinking at our home and then an argument broke out between us. A kitchen knife was pulled and I was cut in the arm to where the paramedics and police were called and I was rushed to the hospital and had to have surgery. I told the police that,

Asked on January 11, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there really isn't much that you can do about this. It is up to the state to press charges and to determine just what they will be. Even without your cooperation, the case will move forwrd if there is enough other evidence that a crime has been committed (and there is plenty). The best thing that you can do now is to hire your girfriend a good criminal law attorney. They can best advise furhter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.