What can I do to help an individual obtain a private criminal defense lawyer pro bono for very serious drug charges and a gun possession charge?

My significant other was arrested 12/18/18
along with a friend for possession with intent
to distribute meth, possession of cocaine and
marijuana, drug stamp and felon possession of a
firearm. He was driving and pulled over for

Asked on January 3, 2019 under Criminal Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Try contacting your state's bar association and asking if they have a referral list of attorneys who will do criminal defense work pro bono--some do. Also try your country and city bar associations.
Have your significant other apply to the court for a court-appointed lawyer: if he can't afford one (and can't find a pro bono attorney), an attorney should be appointed for him. The court clerk's office can provide information on doing this. 
If your significant other has too much money for a pro bono lawyer or a court appointed one, he'll have to hire an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.