What can I do to get the medical care I require but my doctor refuses to provide.

I was injured in an auto
accident in 1999 by a drunk
driver. My injuries are non
operable due to other health
issues. Nevada has a recent
outcry of opiad misuse calling
it a crisis and now my doctor
refuses to treat my injuries
for fear his practice will be
under scrutiny of law
enforcement. Every specialist
in pain management in my area
has closed their practice.
Doesn’t my GP have an
obligation provide the medical
care I require.

Asked on December 20, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, there is no affirmative duty on a physician to provide care that he or she feels is not medically necessary or which the doctor feels would be legally wrong or inappropriate for him/her to provide. You can't compel the doctor to prescribe you pain medication or opiads if the doctor does not want to. And you cannot force a doctor to follow your opinion as to what you need, not their own judgment, so you can't make the GP prescribe the medicine you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.