What can I do to getmy doctor to reinstate my prescription?

The doctor stopped my medication because a urine screen came back negative. He says I have not been taking my pills but I do take my medication as prescribed. He refuses to do any other tests or to even discuss the matter further. What can I do?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Go to another doctor. You can't force a doctor to provide a prescription to you if, in his or her medical judgment, it is unnecessary, inappropriate, or potentially harmful to do so--and that includes if  the doctor refuses to renew a prescription which he or she evidently believes, based on urine test results, that you are not taking.

However, nothing stops you from seeking another opinion from a different doctor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.