If my employer sent my salary deposit into he wrong bank account, what can I do?

My employer sent my check to a bank that I don’t use anymore; it was still open but I gave her my new bank information 2times before payday. My old bank account was negative so my money was automatically deducted when it hit my account. Therefore, I had no money left because she failed to enter in my new bank’s information. It was her mistake, so how can I get my money that was owed to me. What do I do from here?

Asked on March 21, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, I am unsure if you have any recourse on this issue. The account was still open because it had a negative balance, which means you owed the bank. If you had emails and written correspondence with the employer, write back to her and indicate her mistake caused you a certain amount in damages. Explain that you gave sufficient notice to her before payday but make sure that sufficient notice was indeed given such that the check processor had enough time to properly direct deposit. Additionally, before approaching your employer, you may wish to contact your state's Department of Labor and inquire about such past issues any complainant has had and if your state's version of the Freedom of Information Act would allow you to know the results thereof.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.