What can I do to get answers to the health and welfare of my cousin age 74 who is confined to a nursing home,unable to care for herself

My cousin is 74 years old. She is confined to a
nursing home with a diagnosis of schizophrenia
since she was about 15 years of age. I have
contacted her court appointed guardian on several
occasions to no avail. We strongly suspect her
medications are altered as she becomes violent and
tries to escape. Neither her guardian nor the
director of the nursing home will provide answers.
We merely want to be aware of what is going on.

Asked on September 29, 2018 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You don't have a right to any answers if you re not her legal guardian. If you believe that her guardian is not acting in her best interest--is neglecting her, or diverting money or assets to him/herself, etc.--you could contact Elder Protective Services to file a complaint and they investigate: here is a website for contact information-- https://www.mass.gov/report-elder-abuse
But if you don't think that there is abuse or exploitation going on, there is nothing you can do: being a cousin does not give you the legal right to information or to intervene in her life.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation but it is wonderful that you are there to help right the wrong you think may be happening.  So what you need to consider doing is petitioning the court to remove her present guardian and be subsituted in his or her place.  You are going to need to speak with an attorney about the logistics of it all and the cost.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.