What can I do to fight back or defend myself against alleged harassment towards neighbors who are tenants not homeowners?

CO-Own condo for 5 yrs. Live on 2nd floor. Family moved downstairs as tenants & been causing problems for 10 mo. Make a lot of noise, bang on roof if we make noise, seem like running childcare business, etc. Span of 10 mo.-reported violations to mgmt. & said they sent letters to notify them. Recently, report & no response. I call, they say they can’t do anything b/c HOA says we have a personal grudge against them & were just making stuff up to attack them. I’m supposedly under investigation for harassing them & maybe in trouble for taking pics/video of the property/ violations. What can I do?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, read the condo By-Laws.  Make notes on what you believe are the violations to be placed in writing.  Is the unit rented from a condo owner?  If yes, then the owner also has the responsibility to keep the tenant in check.  You are not being viewed well here from what you have said.  It may be in your best interest to go and see a lawyer with all the information and have him/her write a letter for you.  The pictures/video may not be a problem depending on where and how you obtained them.  And harassment is sometimes a broad term used to quiet those who have every right to complain.  The lawyer will help there as well.  Try looking here at attorneypages.com for starters.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.