What can I do to dispute a medical bill that I believe it outrageously inflated?

I went in for a procedure at an imaging facility. They were screening me for cancer. Once they were done, they recommended doing a biopsy just to make sure. I asked the doctor and the RN’s how much the procedure would cost and they replied that they did not know. I was railroaded into having the procedure immediately afterwards. I had originally given my previous insurance information because I had just left my job and I was going to apply for COBRA. I ended up not getting COBRA and was hit with a bill for $259, and later one for $2650. I paid the first bill, thinking that it was the only one.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to dispute the medical bill that you recently received for the biopsy procedure that you  to have a face to face meeting with the health care provider's representative to discuss your concerns and see what discount if any would be allowed with possibly monthly payments that you can afford until the agreed amount is paid off in full. Make sure that the agreed amount is set forth clearly in a writing signed by the provider's representative.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.