What can I do to dismiss or lower the charges on a failure to control vehicle ticket?

It was raining and my car hydroplaned and I locked my breaks going into a turn and collided with another vehicle head on.

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Accident Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the charges against you is to retain an attorney who has experience in contesting traffic matters to represent you in the matter that you are writing about.

The problem that I see for you is that the citing officer will take the position that you were traveling too fast for the conditions that you were driving in. Your position is that you were not and you ran into an area on the road that simply caused the accident.

One way to reduce the charge against you is to plead out to a lesser included offense after you have had time to consult with legal counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.