What can I do to collect the balance of money due for a case I won but never received the balance due on?

It has been just over a year.

Asked on August 26, 2014 under Malpractice Law, New York


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally, you must make a payment demand.  If the judgment is against an individual and he still does not pay, you can usually garnish his bank account(s) and/or earnings.  Some attorneys and other firms will collect this money for you but they will take a percentage for their services.  If you do not know where the debtor works or banks, you can usually make him attend a debtor's exam and tell you those things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.