what can i do to be compensated for my motorcycle accident

A lady came over on me from a turning
lane and in my actions of avoiding her
hitting me my back tire slid out and
struck another vehicle.

Asked on June 7, 2016 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If you have your own insurance that covers bike damage (if any) or peronal injuries (if any), apply to it: the best and easiest way to get compensation is if you use your own insurance, if you have applicable insurance.
2) If you don't have insurance, or seek to collect any amounts or costs not covered by insurance (including a deductible), your recourse is to sue the at-fault driver. Presumably, that would be the woman who came over at you. If you don't know who she was or can't locate her, however, you may be unable to recover anything not covered by your insurance: the law only allows you to get compensation in vehicular accidents from persons who were at fault (e.g. driving carelessly) in causing the accident. From what you write, she is the only potentialy at fault person, and so the only one you could sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.