What can I do since my stepmother refuses to let me see my deceased father’s Will and refuses to file it with the Register of Wills?

Asked on March 14, 2015 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation that has evolved since your Father's death. There are a number of ways that you can handle this.  You can hire an attorney to write a letter and demand that your Mother file and probate the Will and if she does not respond, file a petition in probate court demanding same.  You could also file to be appointed as the administrator as if he died intestate and notice her which might prompt her to file.  These tactics should be discussed with an attorney as to viability and cost.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.