What can I do reguarding not paying my utilities since I moved out due to illegal activities going on in the house?

I lived in a house for a few weeks until my roommates’ partying got out of hand. They were having pepole over every night and were doing underage drinking and doing drugs in the house, which is a violation to the contract. They also had pets which was a violaton. I have tried to notifiy the landlord and they won’t do anything about it. I have moved out and i have proof that I have. Is there any way I can avoid paying utilities for teh dates that I didn’t live in the ouse?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your name is on the utility bill, I would immediately call the company and follow up with it in a letter designating that your name is to be removed.

If you are obligated to pay the landlord utilities directly, you need to speak with him or her about the situation. If you were on a month-to-month lease, then there should be no reason why you need to pay for utilities after you moved out.

I suggest that you consult further with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.