What can I do legally to prevent my wife from relocating our children to another state?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You said "wife" here so I am assuming that you are still married but possibly on the verge of separating, correct?  And you believe that she will attempt to relocate the children out of state, correct?  Then you need to go to court and seek to obtain temporary custody and/or an order prohibiting her from doing so.  If she takes them out of the state with out an intention to return then it can be kidnapping.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.