What can I do to legally to move my roommate’s stuff?

My roommate told me she was moving out a month ago, she agreed to pay a part of rent but never did. She called the cops on me saying i was harrassing her because i was asking about it. She told the cop she’d get her stuff on July 28th. She never paid rent for this month. I signed her off the lease late June when she told me to. It’s now July 30th and she still hasn’t picked up her stuff. What can I do legally to take care of this problem?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wyoming


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to call and write your former roommate a note (keep a copy of it for future reference and need) to pick up her belongings by a certain date and if not you will do the following:

1. take the items to an offsite storage place where the lease would be placed in her name;

2. you will provide her with a copy of the lease;

3. if she does not pay the monthly rental for the lease, the storage facility will auction off her belongings to pay unpaid rent.

The above should be enough to get the items moved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.