what can i do if the landlord has accepted my rent money after he filed an evition notice? Then told me i didn’t need to make the court apparance.

there was a court date set and the day after he he placed a for lease sign in the yard and told us the rent was going up another hundred dollars and it just went up 100 not even three months sgo.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think the first thing you need to do is call the court, and find out for yourself if the case is still on the court calendar.  If it is, you need to be there, with proof of payment of the rent if possible.  And it would not hurt to have an attorney with you;  one place to find a lawyer in your area is our website, http://attorneypages.com

As far as the rent increase goes, the law on that varies from one state to another, and as long as the rent doesn't become unreasonable, if you're on an oral, month-to-month lease, he can increase it again, as long as he gives you a full month's notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.