What can I do if someone borrowed money from me and not paying it back?

Someone had borrowed a quite amount of money from me and promised to pay them back. He did paid a samll portion of the amount back, but haven’t pay a thing recently. I tried to contact him, but he never answer the phone or anything, and gone to another state. He is running away from me. I do have a written note and his ID numbers on it. Now what can I do that I don’t know where he is right now?

Asked on March 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Legally, your recourse--the way you can seek repayment--is to sue the defaulting borrower: an agreement to repay, whether in writing or oral, is enforceable. Practically, of course, if you can't locate the individual, you cannnot sue him. You should consult with an attorney who specializes in collections actions--such a lawyer will have experience in, and resources useful for, finding debtors who do not want to pay. The attorney can evaluate your case, advise you as to whether it's worth taking action, the cost to do so, and the likelihood of success, then instiatute an action, if appropriate. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.