What canI do if my tenants installed a satellite dish on my new roof?

The people renting my house installed a dish on my new $8500 roof without my permission or consent. Can I take it down and throw it out? What are they responsilble to fix? The house also has a 1 inch hole in it for the wires.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to do about the situation is to have a face to face talk with your tenants about why they installed the satellite dish on your roof without your permission, written or otherwise.

Follow up the conversation with a written letter memorializing what happened and keep a copy of it for future use.

Have a roofer look at the roof to see if there is any damage caused by the installation. If there is damage, have the installer and the tenants pay for the damage and the charge of the roofer for the inspection.

Depending upon what your written lease (assuming you have one) states about improvements by the tenant without permission, you then make the decision as to whether the dish stays or leaves. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.