What can I do if my ex is not complying with court orders?

My ex-husband was ordered to pay spousal maintenance, my car payment, and also my attorney fees. All of this was to be paid out of our business account. He has done none of the above. I’m not even sure how I am supposed to go about having him pay for my attorney? Needless to say, he has set up another court date in which he has a lawyer and now I can’t afford one. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on May 7, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex for failure to comply with court orders.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing for contempt of court.  Call the court clerk to schedule a hearing date.
In addition to the Order to Show Cause, file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts as to how your ex has failed to comply with court orders.  Also, file any additional supporting documents as evidence of contempt of court  by your ex.  File all of these documents at the same time with a proof of service (court form) attached.  After filing your documents including the proof of service with the court, mail a copy of all the documents you are filing to your ex so that he will have notice of the hearing.
Ask the court clerk prior to filing your documents if any additional documents are required for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.