what can I do if my ex husband didn’t pay me?

In our divorce decree, we had an agreement that he would pay me for 18 months to
cover our mutual debt. He never paid the last month of the 18 months which was
June. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on August 30, 2017 under Family Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex-husband.  You will need to file an Order to Show Cause for a hearing on the contempt of court issue.  You should also file your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts supporting your contempt of court claim.  You should also file any other supporting documents.  You will need to call the court clerk to schedule the hearing.  File all of your documents with the court with a proof of service (court form).  Mail a copy of what you filed with the court to your ex with the proof of service.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing and that your ex has been provided notice of the hearing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required to be filed for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.