What can i do if my employer did not give me the raise we discussed and agreed on?

My employer gave me a raise and emailed me letting me know when it came into affect and what pay period it would be on but once I got my paycheck, my raise was not on there. I spoke with payroll department and they stated that my employer told them it would not go into affect

until the following pay period. Is there anything I can do to receive my money? I have emails proving when exactly my raise was going into affect. When I reached out to my boss and payroll department they do not respond back to me.

Asked on April 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately your employer telling you when he intends to give you a raise, even in writing, is not an enforceable contract: it is just his gratuitous (freely made) promise, and the law does not enforce gratuitous promises. Since the promise is not enforceable and since, when there is no written employment contract guarantying or specifying a raise, the employer is free to not give you a raise if he chooses, your employer could legally choose to delay your raise--or even not give one at all--and you would have no recourse, or ability to force him to give you a raise or get compensation. This was not "your money" because you were never guaranteed it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.