What can I do if my employer pays my overtime hours at the regular rate and not 1 1/2 my regular rate?

Asked on July 16, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a complaint with your state department of labor, or else hire an employment law attorney and bring a lawsuit for the money. If you are a non-exempt employee--and all hourly workers are non-exempt--you must be paid overtime when, for example, you work more than 40 hours in a week. The employer has no flexibility or discretion in this, and you are owed the extra 50% of your hourly rate for all overtime hours you have worked. You can bring a complaint or file a legal action to recover the money. Filing the complaint is most likely the better option because--among other reasons--it is free.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.