What can I do if my employer owes $415 payment for the week and claims that I can’t complain because I don’t have work authorization?

I was working for about 6 weeks for the guy at the mall at the small kiosk; he payed cash. I am an F1 visa status holder which he knew but said there was no problem. He just opened the kiosk and it was not profitable, so he decided to cut other lady’s and my hours completely and work by himself, but he didnt pay fo the last 2 weeks that I worked for him. 6 weeks passed after that he kept telling he’d pay but now since I was so persistant he said he was not going to pay at all because he said I couldn’t report him to authorities because I worked illegally without work authorization.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your option is to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of labor law and or your your local department of labor. Even though legally you might nit be able to collect for wages due to not having valid work authorization in this coutnry, you might be able to make a claim for an unfair labor practice against your former employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.