What can I do if my apartment complex is charging me a late fee for rent but my rent was paid on time?

If I have the receipt of rent paid, what is the legal action I can take?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your apartment complex is charging you a late fee for your rent when you in fact were not late in payment of your rent, I would do the following:

1. have a face to face meeting with your property manager and provide all documents showing that you were not in fact late in your rent in an attempt to respolve the dispute at an early stage;

2. if that meeting does not resolve the issue, you can pay the late fee "under protest" and then sue your landlord and the property manager in small claims court for the amount that you paid as the late fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.