What can I do if money is being garnished from my chilren’s father’s paycheck but his employer isn’t mailing it out to me as court ordered?

My children’s father is getting child support taken out of his checks but his employer isn’t sending the money in for me to get. He sends it out maybe every 4 months when it’s court ordered to be paid weekly. He is scared to loose his job if he gets his lawyer involved so he is having to pay interest during this time. What can I do to get it sent out on time without getting my ex in trouble at work and not having to spend money since I don’t have money for a lawyer or anything.

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since the sherifff of the county where you reside presumably did the wage garnishment, I would contact its civil division to see why you are not receiving the garnished money in a timely fashion. Such would be the least expensive route for you to get what you need. The other option is to call the employer over the delay in sending the funds.

It seems that the employer may be keeping the money on purpose to get free use of money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.