What can I do if I was sold a vehicle on which the miles were rolled back?

I was sold a vehicle thinking it had 99k. I found a receipt in the owner’s manual that said the tires were changed at 161k so the miles were obviously rolled back. The title was in his ex-wife’s name but the advertisement had him as the seller and his phone number. I asked for my money back since its false advertisement but he is not willing to do anything.

Asked on December 12, 2011 under General Practice, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue--if the seller committed fraud, or made (either through words or by actions; e.g. rolling back the odometer) material (or important) misrepresentations (or lies), that is illegal, and you could potentially sue for either 1) monetary compensation (e.g. to receive the difference in value between a vehicle with 99k miles or 161+k miles) or to rescind the sale (return car, get money back). In some states, this sort of consumer fraud could, depending on the circumstances, even entitle you to additional compensation. You don't say how much you had paid; if you paid a few thousand dollars, get a lawyer to help you; for several hundred dollars, consider suing in small claims court and representing yourself to save legal fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.