What can I do if I moved out of state and didn’t fulfill my DMV or court requirements for DUI?

I got a DUI and moved home to another stte shortly after because the license suspension made it impossible to do my job. I didn’t complete the classes, or pay the required fine, and I was on informal probation for 3 years. The 3 years have passed and I need to get this cleared up now because my background check for work is showing a warrant. What kind of trouble did I get myself into, what type of punishment am I looking at, and would a lawyer even be able to help me at this point or do I need to just turn myself in and deal with whateve punishment I get?

Asked on July 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A lawyer is your best help here as is turning yourself in.  What you did not realize is that you could have had the requirements of probation transferred to the other state.  The attorney can smooth the way to turing yourself in voluntarily which will bode well in the end with the Judge.  You learned a lesson from this and you can indeed recitfy it and move on.  The attorney can help you negotiate the deal.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.