What can I do if I bought a vehicle on my credit for someone who was supposed to pay it but he is no longer responding?

My now ex-boyfriend had been in a serious financial situation. No job, car, place to live and hardly food. He claimed that transportation was key to getting a job to move on. After helping him out with groceries and rides, I decided to co-sign for him to buy a motorcycle. We tried but his credit was no goodand I have limited credit experience. I had my father co-sign for me. My ex verbally agreed to pay for all of it, and just “use” our signatures. Then 2 weeks later we broke up and getting a hold of him is hard. I’m afraid he will run off with the motorcycle and leave us in debt. What can I do?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your former boyfriend owes you money with respect to money you advanced for him on a vehicle he bought and is not responding to you, you need to consult with a consumer attorney to see what your legal recourse is. One suggestion is that he sign a promissory note for the amount owed, monthly payment amount and interest accruing and he make payments to you.

Another option is to file suit against him for the amount loaned by you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.