What can I do if husband filed for divorce by publication but knows where I live?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Family Law


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Notice by publication is utilized when the person does not know the address of the other spouse. However, you seem to be on notice of the divorce filing and you may be responsible to file an answer now. You can notify the court that his motion for permission to serve by publication was deficient and possibly fraudulent. However, by doing so, you are alerting the court to the fact that you received notice of the divorce and the time that you have to respond will begin to run.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.