What can I do if my apartment complex charged me after I broke my lease even though they the re-rented it?

I had an apartment and the apartment charged me the re-letting fee which is fine. However, I was also was charged for an additional 6 months although they re-rented the unit not even 2 weeks later. So once that apartment was re-rented they were not supposed to charge me anymore but they did.  This put me in debt so bad. I need that fixed and don’t know what to do.

Asked on March 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Once they re-rent the apartment, they cannot charge you additional rent past that point, because they have mitigated (reduced or eliminated) their damages. Furthermore, if you already paid that 6 months rent but they re-rented, you may be able to get the money back (they can't "double dip")--though you'd have to sue to do so. (Note: if they rerented the apartment for less than you were paying, they could charge you the difference in price.) Ideally, you should consult with an attorney about his situation in detail; if you can't afford one, try contacting legal aid or legal services, who may be able to provide free legal assistance. Another option would be to bring a lawsuit, if necessary, yourself in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.