What can I do if anything

I interview for a promotion took a drug test went through background was offered the position with my new badge made and waiting for me in personnel. I have been performing the duties of the promotion for 2 months without more pay but have not been officially given the position. I work for a Indian casino. The Indian counsel felt that because a tribal member applied even though he had no experience at all should get it because he is Indian. Also, the administration is angry because she was not involed in the hiring as she as unavailable. I feel that I am being targeted by the administrator under retaliation and possibly racism because I am not Indian by the administrator to keep the tribal counsel happy and by the tribal counsel. Do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on January 11, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The fedral government recognizes tribal nations as "domestic dependent nations". As a resultIndian casinos can engage in discrimination without legal consequences since there are exempt from federal/state discrimination laws. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If it wasn't a tribal (Indian) casino, you'd have legal recourse--but unfortunately, it is.
Indian casinos are legally arms of the tribes: they are essentially part of the tribal government. However, Indian tribes--and therefore tribal enterprises--are exempt from the anti-discrimtion laws, which apply to private employers and state and municipal governments--but not Indian tribes. An Indian tribe, and so an Indian casino, may discriminate if it likes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.