What can I do if another company has a very similar name to mine?

The name of my company is Texas Discount Furniture and the name of the other company is Texas Fine Furniture. Is there anything that I can do about that?

Asked on September 12, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the name is not exact, only similar, then there is not much that you can do, unless they are actively try to interfere with your business.  If they are trying to confuse people between the two companies, then you may be able to file a suit for their interference with your business operations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.