What can I do for non-payment of reported work?

For just over a year I was a full-time employee at a company. Before and after work I was able to work additional hours for bonus’s that were tracked through a scheduling system. Monthly I was report these session for a flat rate per hour and have this money attached to my next check. I have not been paid for 3 months worth of work (about $1,000). I since have moved into an independent contractor postion with the same company. I have emails documenting the delay in payment. Do I have a case?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If  you were an hourly employee previously, the employer was required to pay you for all hours worked--including paying you at the overtime rate for any time you worked more than 40 hours in a single workweek. Or if you were a salaried employed, the employer could legally pay you extra for additional work, over and above your normal employment--and if there was a demonstrable agreement in place to do so, such an agreement is enforceable. Therefore, from what you write, it seems you may have grounds to sue the employer for the money--and possibly even (depending on the circumstances) for overtime, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.